Sunday, November 14, 2010

Winter in West Virginia, 2010

                                          © Patrick Ross Photography, 2010
           


The East Coast of the United States experienced an abnormally large volume of snow in the winter of 2010. I took the opportunity to set out with my new camera setup (described in the previous blog) and make some images. For the most part, there was so much snow that objects were indiscernible. (i.e. I think that is a tree under that enormous mound of snow!)


When photographing, I always try and personalize an image, add "spin"- your personal style and ability to lead a viewer throughout a scene. (You know an Ansel Adams photograph without seeing the signature!) This layered valley absolutely inundated with snow and ice caught my eye. I was initially photographing these trees because they were catching a stunning sunset light. The light got very nice again after sundown and the resulting soft light image with a pastel sky was the winner.


*This image will appear in the Sierra Club 2012 Engagement Calendar. The Sierra Club saw the image and liked it enough to honor me with an invitation to have the image in their esteemed calendar series.




Image: (Tech Camera, Schneider 72mm Apo-Digitar L Lens, Phase One P45+ MF Digital Back)